A purple-themed festival led by BTS concluded without incident in central Seoul, as fans maintained order and followed strict safety controls during a highly anticipated comeback performance.
BTS’ comeback concert on Saturday at Gwanghwamun Square drew fans from around the world. The group’s fandom, known as ARMY, waved light sticks and warmly welcomed the members as they returned to the stage together for the first time in nearly four years. Some fans were visibly emotional, with many moved to tears.
The one-hour performance opened with “Body to Body,” a new track from the album “ARIRANG” and closed with the encore song “Mikrokosmos.” Although the stage lights dimmed at the end, many fans lingered, reluctant to leave.
According to real-time city data from the Seoul Metropolitan Government, approximately 46,000 to 48,000 people gathered at Gwanghwamun Square, with attendees estimated at 77,000 to 83,000, including those in nearby viewing areas such as those in front of the City Hall and the Seoul Metropolitan Council. While still a significant turnout, the figure fell well below the police estimate of 260,000 attendees. The lower crowd density helped prevent congestion, allowing people to exit the venue smoothly.
Strict safety protocols and cooperation from attendees contributed to the incident-free outcome. Around 9 p.m., as the concert ended, large screens displayed messages urging people to return home safely. Announcements instructed that those in outer standing areas exit first, followed by seated sections. Even those in inner reserved seats waited patiently for their turn without complaint.
Crowds dispersed to nearby subway stations, including Jonggak, City Hall and Seodaemun, preventing major overcrowding. Police divided the area into zones — core, hot, warm and cold — to manage crowd density, guiding movement in a single direction and using whistles to maintain order. Nearly 7,000 personnel were deployed on-site.

Fans also demonstrated a high level of civic awareness. After the concert, many voluntarily picked up trash left on the ground. Lee Sook-jae, 54, who traveled from Gwangmyeong early in the morning despite failing to secure a ticket, said, “We should clean up after ourselves so BTS doesn’t get criticized,” adding, “We need to make sure we don’t cause trouble for the artists.” Another attendee, Moon Hong-woon, 52, a local resident who is not a BTS fan, said, “I saw young people picking up trash, so I felt I should help as well.”
Traffic controls in the surrounding area were gradually lifted following the event. Subway stations such as Gwanghwamun, City Hall and Gyeongbokgung, which had previously skipped stops or restricted access, resumed normal operations from 10 p.m. Bus routes along major roads including Sejong-daero, Sajik-ro and Saemunan-ro returned to normal service from 11 p.m. along with the reopening of nearby roads and underpasses.